Friday, June 13, 2014

I have been having blog problems. I let my domain name lapse and it was bought by some Japanese people - don't ask me why and so I have reverted to this blogger blog. I am sorry for being lost for so long. I vow to post daily. I hope to hear from you and make this a viable blog. I'll do my part: try to inform you, entertain you and most importantly try to answer your questions and then I hope that I will hear from you. Here goes:
Its summer and a good time for light dishes. I enjoy making things that don't require me to be in the kitchen too long and also that can be eaten cold. This is my take on Shrimp cocktail. I like to keep the shell on. You can chose to remove them. Find a pound of the largest shrimp you can afford. Juice of a lemon- save the skin 1/4 tsp.salt 2 to 3 dry red chilies 1/2 cup white white (optional) 1/2 tsp toasted cumin powder 1/2 dried mango powder (called aamchur and found in Indian markets - us half a lemon if you can't find it) Bring about a quart of water to a boil with all the ingredients except the cumin and mango powder. Add the shrimp, the water will stop boiling and now let the shrimp poach gently. Lower the heat and don't let it boil, just a gentle simmer. In about 10 minutes, check one shrimp - they should be just opaque and make sure not to over cook. When they are done, remove from heat and cool quickly either in ice water or running cold water. Drain and dry - add the cumin and mango powder and serve with a cold beer - outside if you can :)

No comments:

Post a Comment